Updated: Aug 24
Giving a gift is always exciting, but it can be challenging as well. Even if you know the ins and outs of the recipient’s tastes, it can still be tough to find a gift that really gets your message across.
A thoughtful gift is a relevant gift; one that reflects the recipients’ passion, hobbies, and current needs. It is a gift that is borne out of deep thought of the recipient and what would make him or her happy and NOT a gift that the gift giver would love to have, which is often the case. Gifting is so much more than just the physical exchange of items.
It is a way to communicate with the recipient of the gift. When you put some thought into it and choose a meaningful present then the gift becomes a wish for the recipients happiness.
On the flip side, a poorly-chosen gift can send the wrong message.
Here are top SIX tips for mastering the art of meaningful gift-giving;
1. Give by Observing: The number one rule in gift giving is ‘Observation’. In this case, you have to pay attention to what your loved ones say their interests are. People tend to drop hints about their likes and dislikes, often when you least expect it! Most people don’t typically ask for what they really want or even realise that they need it. However, by paying attention to what would make their life easier, from previous conversations, you can select the perfect gift for them that they would in turn appreciate.
2. Don’t Shop For Yourself: As you are surfing for gifts in-store or online, you are inevitably going to be tempted to shop for gifts that you would love to receive. Yeah! It happens to everyone and this instinct is completely understandable, but it is important for you to put yourself in the receiver’s shoes, rather than looking at things from your own perspective.
3. Give By Niche Interest Or Hobby: Giving within the niche is a great way to let them know that you notice and appreciate them. The trick here is not to overdo it. You will have to think outside the box and do something unique that suits their personality.
4. The Classics Never Go Out Of Style: Depending on the occasion, a unique take on an old classic could make the perfect gift. For example, a beautiful bouquet of flowers is universally loved and appreciated. To capture one’s heart, think about their favorite color and flower type that may even bring back a fond memory for that individual. Add a love note to your bouquet and you will have them beaming ear-to-ear!
5. A Sentimental Gift Item- It could be an old childhood photograph of the two of you together that you know the person would cherish in a nice frame.
6. A Gift Experience: Giving the gift of an experience can be more impactful than giving a person a physical gift item. Gift experiences could range from a couples massage, live painting session, or chef style dinner at home .THINK OF EXPERIENCES THAT WILL EXCITE and leave a lasting impression on the recipient.